welcome to whatever this is.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Faux Pho Soup of the Vegetarian Persuasion

My day yesterday was cold and rainy.  I wanted to make a pho soup, but as usual, I didn't have any of the ingredients nor did I have a recipe.  As I went about my day, some flat viewings all of which looked like they were conceived over a dinner between the inventor of linoleum and a depressed architect, I thought I'd try to find an Asian supermarket in my neighborhood.  I found one, and just bought everything I saw, flat rice noodles, vermicelli, soy sauce, rice paper.  I felt good. I then found another and went in. Now, I'm guessing what happened through her actions as, again I speak no German, is she saw the rice noodles in my bag and felt like I shouldn't have bought all my stuff at the other store. She emptied out my shopping bag on her counter, wrote down all the price information, guessed at what I might be making and instructed me to buy a variety of other ingredients that would make this imaginary dish complete.  This resulted in below--


I'm not going to lie to you, it was delicious. It's not real Pho, but it was good, it was warm, it had lots of flavour AND I felt very healthy after I ate it.  Also, I'm going to learn to take photos of the process soon, I'm just a really messy cook and I feel like photos of food next to crumply wrappers and food discards will not have the appetizing effect I'm going for at this point in time.

Anyway, here is my recipe.

Ingredients

  • 3 of those little piles of flat noodles (how they pile them in the package)
  • Whatever vegetables on hand for stock, I used carrot, leek, onion, ginger, celery.
  • Cinnamon
  • Salt and pepper
  • Soy sauce (splashes)
  • Fish sauce (splashes)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 things green onion
  • bunches of cilantro
  • 1 small chili
  • 2-3 brown mushrooms
  • Water
  • Tofu, around 200 grams
  • Pinches of salt, pepper and chili flakes

Now, what I did to start was mix the clove of garlic (minced) some splashes of soy sauce, fish sauce, and some pinches of salt, pepper and chili flakes in a bowl, and then marinated the tofu, which was cut into thin strips.  Probably going back I would have started on the broth first, basically just boiling water, cinnamon and the stock veggies, with some splashes of soy sauce as well. But just do these at around the same time, they're both in the "flavour sharing" portion of the cooking program.

Then go pour yourself a glass of wine while the flavor mixing party happens, it doesn't need your supervision, it won't trash your house like a teenager.

Around 15 minutes into the flavor party, throw the tofu and its marinade and fry it up in a pan. I had just bought a non-stick pan that very day and so I didn't even use oil.  Next, put noodles in a bowl, cover them with boiling water and put a plate over it to cover it. Or for you fancy people with actual kitchen utilities, a real cover.Then just chop up your other stuff, onion, cilantro, chili and mushrooms.

Go drink some more wine.

When you feel the flavor party starts to wind down (let's say, 30 min?) check the noodles. If the noodles are ready, get started on putting it together.

First, put all the chopped and waiting stuff in, as in the below photo, including the tofu.  Roddy also threw in some sweet chili sauce for an extra treat.


Then the noodles, then spoon in some broth and you're ready Freddy!!

It really was good. I wish I could have it again tonight....

2 comments:

  1. It looks good.I like your version of pho.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this vietnamese pho widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about vietnamese pho recipes,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so want some, do you want to come to my house and make me a big pot. I am lacking all motivation today, sitting here reading all these wonderful recipes trying to get inspired for dinner. And all I really want is someone else to make me dinner.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails