welcome to whatever this is.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

TexMex Style Chili, Potatoes and AvoSalsa

Well, the other night Roddy called me up as I was heading to the grocery store.  This was our conversation.

Me:Hey, what do you feel like for dinner tonight?
Him: I'm in the mood for mexican.
Me: No problem
Him: But with mashed potatoes.
Me: Umm, okay, I'll see what I can do.

Now,  this is as good a time as any to mention that Roddy is Scottish.  So, when he says he wants mexican, he actually means something a little more TexMex-y than actual mexican.  Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just needed to point it out.

Anyway, this was the result, and even though it might not look amazing, it tasted pretty darn good.


I mean, particularly because it's winter, right?? And I live in Berlin, it's cold here! Ok, I don't know why I feel like I need to defend this, MAYBE because I'm not supposed to be eating this much fat so early in the year, since I haven't even been exercising.   Regardless, it's super easy to make, and obviously easy to adapt to your tastes.  I was actually planning to make it without meat, but Roddy actually mentioned how excited he was to eat meat, so I had to give him a little something.

Ingredients

  • Lots o potatoes
  • However much milk and butter you like to use in your mashed potatoes
  • 250 grams of ground beef (optional)
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • Tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 small chili
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 Tomatoes
  • 1 avocado
  • Grated cheese (I used gouda)
  • Chopped spring onions for top

Directions

For the potatoes, I used a bunch because Roddy is a big fan. I cut them up pretty small before I boil them because I am impatient and hate waiting for them to boil.  Boil until soft, drain, add a bit of salt, pepper, milk and butter. I find you don't need to add too much butter because they're going to have the chili and cheese and AvoSalsa on them, so they'll still taste good.

For the chili, just chop up your onion, sauté until soft, chop up garlic and add it to the onion. Oh, but if you're using meat, do that first. Or at least I did, but I think everyone has their own style.  Add chopped chili and red pepper and sauté them too.  Add the spices and simmer.  I would normally add tomatoes, but because of the avosalsa, it's not necessary... but still tasty!! Then just add the drained and rinsed kidney beans and simmer for as long as you want!

For the AvoSalsa, just finely chop up tomato, salsa, onion, avocado and add salt and pepper.  Toss it up a bit, and you're done! If you make it first, then the flavours come together a bit more and it's more delicious.

I made a little loop with the potatoes and filled in the hole with chili and added the cheese and spring onion on top, with the AvoSalsa on the side.  

Either way,  it was super tasty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails