welcome to whatever this is.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Vietnamese-style Rice and Spring Rolls

One of my favorite things is being able to cook delicious food using only the ingredients that you already have in your kitchen, particularly the vegetables that have limited life left in them.  This is particularly true when you are broke.  So,  when I looked into my cupboards and fridge the other night and saw that I could make a Vietnamese-style egg fried rice,  I was pretty excited. Then I got a little more ambitious and thought, 'Hey, why not throw in some spring rolls as well.  This may have been where I went wrong, but I don't think so, I think it was just a bit of a practice run. They didn't turn out perfectly, BUT I feel like I learned a thing or two about making spring rolls. Number One: They are NOT burritos, and so should not be stuffed like burritos.  Anyway, live and learn.  
So, this was the result.  I don't this photo really captures the tastiness of the dish,  but it's better that the tastiness was captured in the dish instead of the photo, right??

Anyway,  getting down to business.  I don't know why this was specifically Vietnamese-style,  it just felt like it, you know??

Ingredients

RICE
  • 2 cups uncooked rice
  • 1/2 zucchini
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 1 onion
  • 7 mushrooms
  • 1 tsp fish sauce
  • 1tsp soy sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 inch ginger
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cashews
  • oil for cooking
Spring Rolls
  • Rice paper wrappers
  • handful of vermicelli noodles
  • 2 mushrooms
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • handful of bean sprouts

Directions

First, I started with the rice. I cooked the rice and let it cool.

Next step was making a marinade of fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger, all chopped as small as possible or crushed in mortar and pestle.  Then toss it all in with chopped veggies, and let sit while you assemble make the spring rolls.

For the spring rolls, I poured boiling water over the vermicelli noodles in a bowl and let sit, covered, for about 7 min. I chopped up the veggies and through them in a pan and cooked them up in a bit of oil.  Then, put veggies aside, drain noodles and put aside.  I put some water in a circular pan and one at a time immersed the rice paper. After the rice paper was a little bit soft, I took it out and put in some of the filling. This is where I went wrong because I put in WAY too much.  Next time, not so much, definitely!  Anyway, after each one, I put another rice paper in and did it again. Then I set them aside on a plate, waiting to be cooked.  

Back to the rice, throw the veggies in a wok, and cook them all up in a bit of oil.  It really smells delicious. Then, make a little spot where there is no rice and throw the eggs in, beating them as you go. Once they're cooked up a bit, stir them in with the rest of the rice.  Add the cashew nuts at the end.  

Put a bit of oil in a frying pan and throw in the spring rolls. For the life of me I CANNOT bring myself to deep fry ANYTHING, and so I always panfry.  This may have partially resulted in poor spring rolls.  

Serve spring rolls on rice.

OH. also, i threw some garlic, chili, sugar, water and a tiny bit of fish sauce to dip spring rolls in and pour a bit over the rice.  DELICIOUS.


1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://cooktravelwritelearn.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails