welcome to whatever this is.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yummy Yummy Fish Cakes with Red Pepper Yogurt Sauce!!!

Well,  it has been too long since I last wrote, however I had decided not to post anything until I had actually made something, took photos and had something real to share.  Since the last time I wrote, I have travelled a bit more around Egypt, gone back to the UK, moved to Berlin, worked a 2 month contract in Mozambique and gone home to Nova Scotia, Canada for the holidays.  Now I'm back in Berlin, and last night I made the most delicious fishcakes with a beautiful roasted red pepper yogurt sauce.

Now, since moving to Berlin (the whole 17 days I've lived here),  I've found it a bit difficult working my way through the grocery stores.  I think that the universe has sent me to places where the grocery stores are increasingly worse and this must be a message to me to use less and less already prepared products, to sample more international markets and to learn to cook under any conditions.  So, last night, I wanted to make something delicious for me and my lovely boyfriend Roddy in our super cute and cramped studio apartment that we will hopefully be moving out of in the next month so we can eat, cook and sleep in separate rooms...

ANYWAY...

Fish cakes seemed like the perfect solution.  I had wanted to use something canned, as fresh fish would have meant that our bed would smell like fresh fish for the remainder of the week, but I was a bit disappointed when I had the option of 50 different types of canned tuna, but no other varieties of canned fish. It was disappointing, but I persevered, and below is what I managed to create!


I realize I need to work a bit on my food photography, but, here goes!

INGREDIENTS

Fish Cakes


  • 1 small can of whatever fish floats your boat that evening
  • 3 medium potatoes
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1tsp cumin
  • 1.5 tsp oregano
  • 1.5 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp chili flakes
  • olive oil for shallow frying
Red Pepper Yogurt Sauce

  • 1 large red pepper
  • 75 mL plain yogurt
  • pinch each of sugar, salt, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt and pepper
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS

Fish Cakes

1) Peel and cut potatoes into small pieces and boil until almost ready for mashed potatoes, but not quite (I like the potatoes to be a chunky mash instead of a mashy mash).  When ready, drain and let cool a bit.
2) Cut onion and celery into tiny little pieces and sautee until aromatic and soft.
3) In a bowl, mix potatoes, onion, celery, can of tuna (drained, obviously),  and all the spices and mash.  I don't have a masher yet so I used a fork and the consistency was awesome and chunky mash.
4) Heat a LITTLE bit of oil (it's the beginning of the year and I'm sure we're all still making an attempt to eat healthy???), roll fish cake mixture in flat-ish patties of your desired size (once I made them kind of like mini-burger patties, once like little croquets and both times I loved them equally) and cook for around 4 minutes a side. Then, they're finished!!

Red Pepper Yogurt Sauce

1) Cut red pepper in half, cut out the seeds and white stuff inside and stem, put on top layer of oven and roast (or grill, whatever), skin-side up until skin is black. Take out and let cool, preferably in plastic bag.
2) Empty yogurt into a bowl and add spices, mixing them together.
3) Peel of skins of pepper, cut into small pieces and add to yogurt.
4) Using a hand blender, mix it up into a smooth dressing.


I think the key to success for this is to make the sauce in advance, to take all the yogurt bite out of it, for those who don't like the yogurt tang (Roddy).  Also, a squeeze of lemon juice adds a delicious touch.  We had them on some egg noodles with lettuce and avocado and we were seriously full at the end of that dinner!

And that's it!! What do you think???

1 comment:

  1. these look great, i will definitely make them for dinner this week.

    Thanks,

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails