welcome to whatever this is.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cold rice noodle vegetable salad with tangy Gado Gado sauce

Well! Last night I made it to the gym!! hooray. well, at least it was hooray until 1) the gym guy tells me i really need to be coming everyday and 2) I ran into a friend JUST as i stepped off the treadmill and she asked me why I sweat so much and get so red in the face.  ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. anyway.

I got home and heated up some zucchini feta soup I had made the day before, just for this very occasion of arriving home at 9pm and starving.  It was really good, maybe I'll post the recipe!! Anyway, determined not to have to get street foul for lunch again, I decided to make a beautiful little noodle salad with a peanut sauce for all of the family to take to work for lunch.  AGAIN... I have no photos. Why? because it was so late at night and I was tooooooooooooooooooooo tired. But I will likely be making this very thing again next week, so...I will post then.

Anyway, here I am at work, sipping on my grape-mango-orange smoothie typing up this blog again, so I better hurry before I miss a deadline or something.

Also, can I just say that although this summer has been VERY kind in terms of heat compared to last summer in Cairo...it's just too sweaty here these days. Which makes cooking hard.  We have air conditioning in our living room and Maya and Bini's bedroom only, so you can imagine how hot the kitchen gets.  Although I don't think people usually have air conditioning in their kitchens, do they? I'm not sure.  Anyway. THE RECIPE!! Also, if anyone in the world anywhere ever comes across this blog, can you tell me if it's basically useless to write a recipe post with no photo? does anyone try recipes anymore unless there's a mouthwatering photo? i mean, it doesn't really matter, this blog is more for me than anyone else, (which is good considering i'm the only one that accesses it!) I was just a-wonderin!

Oh, and note I made this for 3 hungry peoples lunch... so just adjust as necessary!!

Cold Rice Noodle Vegetable Salad with TANGY Gado-Gado sauce

1/2 head of beautiful romaine lettuce
1/2 red pepper, sliced
3 hard boiled eggs
1 carrot, julienned (julienning carrot is dangerous for my thumbs, but i don't like thick carrots in salad)
2 small-medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/3 package of vermicelli rice noodles, cooked in hot water for 5-7 min

Gado Gado Sauce

1 cup peanuts
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 tsp chili powder (fresh chilies would have been better, but I didn't have any!)


Directions

Make the Gado Gado sauce by blending all the ingredients together.  Add more water/peanuts depending on if you want it thicker or thinner. I used less water because I was assembling the salad the night before and I didn't want the romaine to get all soggy. Then toss the sauce in with the cooked noodles. I gave the noodles in sauce a quick run in the wok (I'm lying, I don't have a wok I used a frying pan. But I pretended it was a wok), to bring out the flavor of the peanuts, because I think I should have roasted them before.

Then I assembled like this: romaine, topped with noodles and sauce, topped with vegetables and the hardboiled egg roughly chopped.

Can I just tell you that I know that this isn't a real GadoGado sauce. But, I'm only here for a few more months and I just can't go buy fish sauce because it's too expensive and I won't use it often enough! The rice vermicelli noodles were a splurge this month...I mean, this is Cairo, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails