welcome to whatever this is.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Zucchini and Feta SOUP

So, living in Cairo right now, I eat a lot of zucchini. Don't get me wrong, I loves me a good zucchini, but, much to Rodney's chagrin, I need a lot of variety in my meals. Although strangely I could eat tacos, lasagne, pizza, enchiladas and a good indian curry in a rotation by themselves for all 3 meals for.. I don't even know how long. I would guess 8 weeks, but really, I've never tried. For fear of becoming obese mainly. If I had superb metabolism? Well, it would become a whole different ballgame.

Anyway. The other night I decided I needed to turn those zucchinis into something a bit different, a bit zippier. So that even though you KNOW you're eating zucchini, you don't really feel like it... you feel me?

The result was this scrumptious looking photo:

whooooops. I didn't take a photo.  Do you want to know the reason I haven't taken photos? Really? Because I haven't told Maya and Biniam that I'm blogging because I'm scared that that means I think I'm so awesome that I have so much to share with the world. SO. If they don't know I'm blogging, then how do I take photos of the food we're eating without being noticed? This is a challenge that I will tackle.

Here is the recipe for the soup:

4 zucchinis (the ones I used were about 12cm long?)
1 med-large potato
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 small personal sized container of plain yogurt
1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
2 cups soup stock (I used vegetable stock, but to each his/her own!)
salt and pepper! (I LOVE salt and pepper. I want to make salt and pepper soup or something)

SOOOOOOOOOO.

you just chop up those onions, it doesn't matter if they're roughly chopped because it's all getting blended! Heat a little bit of EVOO as Rachel Ray says, and toss the onions into the saucepan. Stir and cook, add chopped garlic. same thing, then chopped zucchini and potato...and salt and pepper!! Saute that around for a few minutes. Add the stock and let it all just cook and come together in the pot, like a magical stew.

After a long time, check to see that the potatoes and zucchini are soft, then blend it all up into a beautifully smooth puree type thing. Mine was a bit thick so I added more stock.(water actually, but that sounds bad so let's say I added stock.

Then put it back in the pot, add the feta and yogurt and there you have this beautifully photographed soup!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails